Re: smooth ride, clutch stuff

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: smooth ride, clutch stuff
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:49:05 -0700 (PDT)
I have the magic clutch in my car, and pedal pressure is extremely
high.  I didn't notice this so much when I first put it in, because I
have always used Borg and Beck pressure plates in the car, and it's
what I was used to.  However, I bought a 2000 Honda Civic Si (please
keep the boo-ing to a dull roar, it really is a fun car!!) at the end
of December to use as reliable daily transport now that I have
graduated college and entered the working world.  When I got back in my
TR6 on Memorial Day weekend (car had been in storage since late August
2000), I couldn't believe the amount of force required to disengage the
clutch.  I also became more aware of the fact that the clutch in my TR
is either on or off, it bights right off the floor and there it is very
tough to smoothly engage.  Luckily these cars have bags of torque, my
Honda would stall immediately if it had the same clutch setup.

Late last year I read a great article in a VTR magazine (or something
like that) where someone had done research into the clutch problems
that we TR250/6 owners are facing.  It seems that the Laycock OE clutch
was of a much better design and had lower pressure, but is
unfortunately no longer available.  He also theorized that the high
pressure of the Borg and Beck clutches may be responsible for the short
life spans of the t/o bearings.  He also said that the high pressure
may be causing problems with master and slave cylinders, increasing
wear in the bores.  This, he claims, is why we often see our clean
fresh hydraulic fluid turn black (mine is always black, even after
replacing the cylinders/hard pipe/flexible pipe with brand new units
and bleeding the system).  The aluminum master/slave cylinders wear and
aluminum is ground away and deposited in the hydraulic fluid, where it
subsequently oxidizes and turns the fluid black.

Obviously, we don't need such high pressures on our pressure plates.  I
have driven high performance Mustangs and such which have softer
clutches than the magic clutch on my '6.  Unfortunately, we don't have
many choices available to us.   Therefore, we have to use heavy duty
t/o bearings from the Toyota.  It is very unlikely that a clutch
manufacturer will build a proper pressure plate just for our relatively
small market.  Maybe one day someone will find another pressure plate
(that currently fits a Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or whatever) which is
better suited to our cars.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/