Re: smooth ride, clutch stuff

To: jay_welch@juno.com
Subject: Re: smooth ride, clutch stuff
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT)
Jay---First to answer your concern about the Toyota T/O possibly being
harder to operate due to its larger diameter. I too thought this was
going to be an issue, so before installing it I compared the pounds of
force necessary to disengage the clutch as compared to the standard
bearing (diam.) To my surprise it took 280 lb. to release them both.
This is with the B&B pressure plate and disk. I don't have the Sachs or
Laycock, but understand the Laycock to be lighter.

The heavier the clutch, the more pressure will be placed on the crank's
thrust washers. But since I have NEVER had a problem in chewing up
thrust washers, and have used the B&B clutches for 20 years or so, I
can't put any blame here. If you and Tim find the release point right
off the floor, there is obviously something different about your setup.
When the linkage in the pedal box is relatively play -free your
disengagement/engagement point should be about one inch from the floor,
and you should not find it jerky or sudden.  I can also push the pedal
to the floor with one hand, and I've never been confused with Hercules.
Be sure all other points of heavy friction have been dealt with, such as
good clutch arm bearings and pre-greased. Same with the clevis pins. It
is not necessary to have a left leg larger than the right to drive a
TR6.

Dick Taylor
'73