Ignition Problems

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Problems
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:53:15 EDT
I have been reading the emails on this list for over a year and I find the
list a great source of information and motivation. I've owned my 76 for close
to 20 years and I'll probably be buried in it. I have made it a goal to learn
as much about my car as possible, but electrics still baffle me.
Last night on my way home from British Car Day in Kingston ON, the engine
hesitated once or twice then cut out completely for a couple of seconds then
came back to life with a large backfire. It has an Allison (now Crane) XR700
electronic ignition. The last time this happened, the detector block with the
opitcal eye was loose inside the distributor cap. When I checked it tonight,
everything was tight. To complicate matters, the engine is modified (110 thou
off the head, and GP2 cam) and I have never been able to nail down the exact
engine timing since the rebuild. (What is the best way to find and set the
new timing?) This no doubt has an effect on the performance of the electronic
ignition. The car typically runs a little rough and hesitant below 2000 rpms,
then accelerates smoothly and strongly. When I put the timing light on it
tonight, the stobe was not flashing smoothly, it seemed to be missing as
well.
Any ideas???

Stuart Beatty
76 Carmine