Re: Fw: TR6 track experience

To: <tjh173@yahoo.com>, Shawn Loseke <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Fw: TR6 track experience
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:50:45 -0400
Timothy Holbrook wrote:

> Jorge couldn't get this posting through to the list, but wanted me to
> share it with everyone.  A stock-engined TR6 takes a blown Miata on an
> open track day?  Hmmmm....   Hey Jorge, was this the Miata that lost
> all five forward gears and was forced to hit the track in reverse?!  :)

Tim, I know that you meant this in jest, but I am not really surprised at
Jorge's experience.  Yes, stock-motored TR6s are "slow", but in the hands of
a capable driver, they are much, much faster than others cars in the hands
of a mediocre driver.  I advocate that skill is of greatest importance for
traveling quickly and safely, and that the cars capabilities are a distant
second.

Yes, I have passed a Ferrari (330GT) on the track.  Yes, a Miata on
race-slicks spun out on a corner when I had been pushing him too hard.  Yes,
a near-stock MGB did suck my doors off like I was in reverse.  Driving fast
is all about smoothness.  I learned very early in my worn-out TR6 that rapid
changes in throttle were not a good idea, so I avoid letting off the
throttle and gear-changing, (especially in corners).

Shawn Loseke was right in his description of early Porsches (and my own
experience in Panteras) as being very unpredictable.  The beauty of the TR6
is that it is so predictable, you can work up strategies to avoid those
circumstances of instability.  Driving rapidly in a safe manner is not about
fast reflexes (though it certainly helps for when the rare and unexpected
does happen - Murphy's Law), but about the logical application of
anticipation, modulation and, as always, a fair degree of luck!  :)

I'll not take away from the skill and effort of the real drivers.  They have
abilities, courage and determination that far exceed anything I have.    But
cunning and smoothness does enable this old TR6 pilot to stay ahead of any
over-stimulated but otherwise average blown-Integra, M3 or Five-Oh driver.

Shane Ingate in Maryland