Re: Fw: TR6 track experience

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: TR6 track experience
From: Shawn Loseke <sloseke@engr.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:34:47 -0600
Shane makes some really good points here. I have had more than a few
racers with years of experience and training tell me the simplest rule
of high speed driving. Horsepower management, the smoother you are, the
better you manage the horsepower.  Making quick, jerky movements with
your steering inputs or your throttle and brake application, seriously
impare your ability to manage the cars power output.
  Modern technology can let you watch this in real time. When you are
watching your favorite motorsports, watch the drivers hand movement when
the in car camera is on. The best drivers have the smoothest movements.
Even in WRC, which shows quite a bit of in car camera shots. Watch
McRae, Saintz, Burns, Makinen, Grunholm etc... Their hands are moving
very smoothly even when they are making quick movements and
corrections.  Smooth doesn't mean slow, but it feels slow. It's a very
strange sensation.

So now you might ask how do you get smooth? Practice, which builds
confidence, and confidence will increase your smoothness. Allowing the
drivers of "slower cars" to harass and even embarrass machismo's with
heavy right feet and too much power.
   I was a t a track one day when there was some private instruction
taking place. The students were driving a very well prepared MGB. When
the instructor took the two students out onto the track to show them
where they were making mistakes, he took them out in a mini van and
bested their time by several seconds. The mini van was his wife's
vehicle which he was using because his car was in the shop.