Re: TR6 capability

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6 capability
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:55:22 -0500
Listers,

I think we're in general agreement here, and I know that most rice rocket
owners have no idea as to what a six cylinder TR is capable of, no less than
the fact that most think our officially antique TRs have fours under the hood!

Head to head, whether in an autocross or on the street, a decently prepped TR6
will handle most Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas.  I say most, because my original
"fast and furious" comment is directed at those Japanese cars that have seen
more than the usual prep work.  I do not know many TR6 owners who can claim
300-400 horsepower but getting that out of a Honda or Toyota 4-banger is not
difficult as long as you have the cash.  Heck, even 500 horsepower is possible
if longevity is not a concern.  A fellow I work with has his own hi-performance
Toyota shop and gets his 72 Toyota sedan (yes, sedan) down the 1/4 mile in 12
seconds, nitrous assisted of course.

And true, tire technology has come a long way, benefitting us all.  However, I
would still be hard pressed to convince anyone that the TR6 suspension design
is comparable to current suspension designs and just as capable if both have
undergone similar modifications.  If someone can prove me wrong then more power
to us all!

So even though current technology and knowledge allows us to get more out of
our TRs than in the past it pales in comparison to the application of those
same technologies to later more advanced stock vehicles.  Fortunately the
likelihood of coming up against one of these grenades is slim.  Many are just
"all show-no go" bloated anchors with flatulating exhausts, oversized rims, too
many amplifiers, speakers and plastic ground effects parts and not much else.
But do not be surprised when you cross paths with a real rice rocket, because
when it does you will know it.  Oh boy, will you know it... :~)

Greg Dito
CD6250L