RE: TR6 capability

To: "Joseph Grant" <z28quetzal@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: TR6 capability
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:27:48 -0800
        Joe:

        I think we are going to agree to disagree on that one. Fuel injection
offers no more ultimate power than a good carburetor. The advantages to
EFI are numerous, but ultimate power is not one of them.
        As for the PI TR6 delivering more power than the carb'ed versions,
you need to be very careful. The PI cars had numerous advantages over the
carb'ed version:

        1. Higher CR. PI cars were 9.5:1, carbs were 8.5:1 and later were
7.75:1.
        2. Camshaft: 150HP PI cars used 280 degree cams, carbs used 240 degree
         and later used 256 degree cams.
        3. Rockers: PI cars used higher ratio rocker arms, so the valves
         opened faster and farther.
        4. Exhaust: The PI cars had dual exhausts from the beginning, carbs
         did not get them until later when emissions controls were choking
         the life out of the car.
        5. PI cars did not have vacuum retard on the ignition, instead they
         used an aggressive, mechanical only ignition advance curve.
        6. The PI cars came stock with a cold air induction kit, carb cars
         draw hot air from the engine compartment.

        So the PI cars were getting their power from many improvements,
not the PI per se'. Admittedly, the Strombergs are a bit on the small side
to deliver 150HP, but a properly sized carb would have delivered every bit
as much power as PI on a PI car.

        Cheers,

        Vance