RE: TR6 capability

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 capability
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:38:35 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Joe:

[stuff about _stock_ PI cars deleted for brevity]

The record for a TR6 engine is 252 HP at 8000 RPM's.

This was an "all out" race engine with all the tricks, so it was 12.5:1
(more or less) and the modified TR6 PI system (ala Brian Fuerstenau).

Like it or not, PI motors have better efficiency than carb'd cars and thus
have higher numbers on the dyno. But keep in mind that that PI TR6 engine
using the high pressure Lucas injection system was nothing like modern
engine management available today. SO - using PI and a real engine
management system like the Electromotive TEC III should result in the best
ultimate HP numbers from a TR6.

But I'll tell you right now that you won't do this with a $5k engine.
Think more like >$20k. Trust me on this.

In other words, yes it can be done, but what's it really worth?

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |