Re: overheating issue

To: Acekraut11@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating issue
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:26:36 -0800 (PST)
Aaron: Thanks for the thermomter tip. I'll try that first. I do have a
thermoswitch on the fan, and now that I think about it, it does not ALWAYS come
on when the temp guage reads hot. The voltage stablizer could indeed be part,
if not all of the problem.

I'll be removing the intake manifold to be cleaned and polished, so I'll check
the coolant passage in it at the same time.

Jim

Acekraut11@aol.com wrote:
Jim,

Before getting to heavily into modifications to solve your problem I would
recomend a few simple steps first. Take a trip to your favorite discount store
(Wal-Mart, etc.) and purchase a baking or meat thermomometer to accurately
measure the true temp of your coolant. When I did this I found that the coolant
was the right temp and my guage was reading high. Since my gas guage was
reading high also I replaced the voltage stabilizer and cured both problems.
Previous to replacing the Volt. stab. I changed the thermostat to one that
opened at 165 degrees but ended up changing back to 180 after replacing the
volt. stab. since the car was running too cool. Also, when I removed my intake
manifold I found the metal coolant pipe running through it to be quite clogged,
restricting but not preventing flow. Now temps will climb at idle, but not
excessively.

Alternatively, you can hookup a switch in your system to trigger the fan
automatically. I have not done this but know others have and they would be
better suited to provide information on how to install it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aaron
Topsham, Maine (with plenty of natural cooling)