Re: overheating issue

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: overheating issue
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:49:55 -0500
Hey Jim,

I have a similar problem in the warmer months. I have a 14"electric
pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator which solves the problem in
stopped traffic. One thing you have to realize is that the electric fan
requires some time to work. When my gauge rises over half I manually
turn it on but the needle will continue to rise for a minute until the
cooler water is circulated & lowers the engine temps.
In my experience over the years, assuming you have the correct
thermostat & all other mechanicals are in order , a 25 year old British
radiator would be at fault. Boiling a radiator is not a cure all. These
were undersized & barley adequate at the beginning & have not improved
with age. I'm also a believer that a cooling system left for long
periods of time at rest will accelerate corrosion in the block &
radiator. These cars need to be driven.
I have had some success with water wetter. It won't solve an overheating
problem but does help control it.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.