Re: overheating issue

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: overheating issue
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:53:28 -0500
> My 72 '6 has dual SU's and headers. It runs VERY well, except that it
> tends to overheat when idling in traffic. (Imagine that - a British car
that
> overheats!) It has an electric cooling fan with an override switch that
> allows me to turn it on manually, which I do in that situation. Still, the
> temp guage goes up pretty blasted fast.

Start with the easiest item first... what thermostat is installed on your
car?  If it is a 195degF stat or higher unit, you should probably swap to a
lower temperature unit.

Electric fans do not compensate for incorrect thermostats, but most people
tend to not think of this.  When I worked at Power British, there was a Java
Green Spit that came in with the same issue you describe.  A five minute
test drive (from cold) was enough to get it overheated, electric fan blowing
away the entire time.  After disbelieving that no one could have been daft
enough to put the wrong thermostat in, I had to admit to myself that I was
over looking the simplest problem... and sure enough, it had a 195degF
thermostat.

Kai