re:[6pack] Rechroming luggage rack

To: pbeckman@ameritech.net
Subject: re:[6pack] Rechroming luggage rack
From: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:56:32 -0400
Phil wrote:
>I also was planning to have the luggage rack on the trunk done at the same
>time as the bumpers but I'm very suprised at the cost for dong a rack.
<snip>
>A new one from TRF or Moss would actually be cheaper than
>rechroming by original rack but I have to wonder if the quality would be
the
>same.  I certainly don't want to buy a new one and then kick myself in a
few
>years because I cut a corner I shouldn't have.

Phil -
   If you have one of the original type heavy duty luggage racks, I'd
suggest getting it re-chromed.
The newer OEM ones are smaller and lighter than the originals and, IMO,
just don't look the same
nor are they capable of handling as much 'luggage' (or whatever) that you
might strap onto them.
I've had occasion to have to convey a huge rubbermaid container weighing at
least 75 lbs. on my
luggage rack and it does the job just fine - I'd be afraid of bending one
of the newer racks.

Dennis Culligan, Highland, NY / 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH