Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question
From: jct@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:40:16 -0500
>>>1.  Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.2l V8) - fun to drive when not towing,
strong tow motor (for a smaller SUV), too light to tow comfortably (?)
at ~4K lbs<<<

Actually that lighter weight, due to the unibody frame, was never a
liability when I towed with one for 2 years with a 5.2 (7000lb capacity
with trailer tow pkg) and 2700lb RX-7 in tow.  It is a huge plus around
town since it makes the truck a lot more nimble.  Take one of these on a
Jeep Jamboree and you'll see just how much off-road capability these things
have, just amazing.

I now tow with a 5.9L Durango because of the added cargo capacity given all
the spares I seem to now have to carry to events with my ESP car.  They
both tow comparably well, although the 5.9 with the 3.9 rear does seem to
have slightly better pull.  For overall comfort, I still like the GC but
for practicality for a co-driver and myself to pack for a week out in
Kansas, the Durango wins.

John....