Re: Traction control and ABS in S/P

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Traction control and ABS in S/P
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:02:55 -0400
>   BZZZZTTTT! Wrong answer buddy ;-) Now go back and try modulating the
>brakes with the *abs *ON* and see which stops quicker.

Actually I should've been more specific.  He never disabled ABS - his second
test was to modulate with ABS on.  And it was quicker.  So I suppose the
REAL test would've been to disable ABS (or have a Jetta without ABS) and see
how it did.

>What about trail braking on turn in?

This was part of the exercise, and he found the modulation to work quite
well.  Again, no ABS-disabled runs to compare to - he hadn't intended to
test it that thoroughly.

>ABS kicks ass *ALWAYS* unless you drive in a manner
>which would lock up the wheels on a non ABS car.

Some agree with you, some don't.  I haven't driven ABS-equipped cars enough
to have an opinion either way, and I believe it would vary car to car, ABS
system to ABS system.  You do well with ABS, so go for it. :)

>   I submit *stomping* the brake pedal shocks the car without ABS into
>lockup and shocks the car with abs into an overcompensatory mode ;-)

Hmmm...  To me, lockup is easier to control - just back off the brake a
little.  "Overcompensatory mode" sounds quite undesireable to me.  Which is
another one of my points - part of it depends on your driving style.

    - Justin