RE: Traction control and ABS in S/P

To: "'Kent Rafferty'" <gs96@sgi.net>,
Subject: RE: Traction control and ABS in S/P
From: "Stevens, Kevin" <kstevens@ventritex.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:50:20 -0700
>Theoretical question on the ABS.  I'm more interested
>in the traction control system on my Supra.  I think
>the systems are similar and defeating them would
>be similar from a rules perspective- that's why I asked
>about both.

Probably not - most traction control systems I know of have a defeat switch
available.  Since that's provided by the manufacturer, it is clearly legal
to compete with traction control disabled.  Pulling the fuse on an ABS
system is not - there you are deliberately circumventing the normal and
intended operation of the vehicle (yeah, like we don't do THAT every
weekend!).

If your TC doesn't have a defeat switch, then I agree the two situations are
similar, and my interpretation would be illegal to defeat in both Stock and
Street Prepared.  (But in SP you could update/backdate to a model without
those options, if available.)

KeS