Re: a question

To: "Randy Chase" <randyc2@home.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: a question
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:04:16 -0700
Randy said:
> The best thing here IMHO is ride with
>someone fast and watch. It was an eye-opener for me.

Ja, I did do this -- ever heard of Ron Chapman and his mighty Miata?  Is
this not the same Ron Chapman who was SD region's 1998 GS champion?  He sure
seemed good and fast.  Seriously, he was also not only very nice, but a very
good teacher.  And "eye opening" -- remember my comment about "if that wall
of cones had been a wall of brick"?

>'Point and Shoot'? I think that applies more to high horsepower cars
>and/or driving in the rain. Some of the best advice I have gotten
>(Thanks Kevin Bailey, Rich Fletcher, and Peter Raymond) was to STOP doing
this. Quit "squaring off the corners".

Did Ron give me bad advice *again*!?  :]  Seriously, it's always possible
that I misunderstood his advice to brake, rotate, and power on (I made up
the Point & Squirt nomenclature, but make no other claim to originality, and
maybe I heard it somewhere else first)  but it sure worked for me.  He used
it in his Miata to good effect, too.

That said, I can see how it might help my driving style more than others.
When I ran my Pinto I spun twice in lane (seems to me I was still first in
my class at that event) and that RWD car has only 100 hp, and with the SVO I
was fishtailing a lot in 2nd gear until Ron gave me his most excellent
advice.

But that's all I said -- someone who knows what he's doing, gave me advice,
and it worked for me.  Take it for what it's worth!  :]

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 1C - 180,000 Miles
Street restored/Now prepping for CP Autox

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
At the San Diego Automotive Museum through 1/00