Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:58:53 -0400
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> You're assuming the CAR is responsible for this performance. If
> you take the best DRIVERS and put them in a mediocre car, they'll
> STILL win.

LOL! Give me a break! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever
heard!

> >What is the BMW doing in a FWD class in the first place?
>
> Best place for it. It's too tall for CS or BS. The performance
> envelope of the 318is is best matched with DS.

Make it FWD and I will agree with you. Keep it RWD and I will say it is
politics plain and simple. It is the same reason the BMW M3 is in CSP
while the 944S and 924 Turbo are in ASP. There are some marques that are
given preferential treatment: BMW, Honda, and now Chrysler.

> Yep. It's to keep a "manufacturer" like Saleen from making
> Stock-category autox cars to customer order with
> customer-specified spring rates, swaybars, chassis stiffening,
> etc. It's NOT there to exclude widely available models with
> well-defined equipment packages from Stock.

Dodge Viper?

> Get real. If you claim that a car that sells new for less then
> $15k doesn't belong in Stock, I claim that your "logic" can be
> used to exclude anything you happen not to like.

Are you saying you can't build a competitive CSP or DSP car for $15K? So
what is the difference if the vendor does it instead of you? The result
is the same. Cars should be classed on actual performance not by who
sticks on the go-fast parts...

Paul Foster