RCasual driving on R tires

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>,
Subject: RCasual driving on R tires
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:37:35 -0500
> It's not as rough on your race tires as you'd think.  Unless you've got
> really radical alignment settings (like lots of toe, in or out) it's not
> gonna amount to much wear at all.  I'd venture to guess that the amount
> of wear is far less than even just one run on the autocross course.
> Granted most people probably don't go on extended excursions while on
> their race tires but there's usually a few things to drive to including
> a Saturday night event dinner of some sort, ice cream parlors and maybe
> even a movie.

I know many people who drive back and forth to events on Toyo RA1s and
Kumhos. Both come with lots of tread to wear off. I don't know very many at
all that will drive anywhere on their G-Force or AS03s if they don't HAVE
to. Maybe back to the hotel and MacDonalds if it's on the way, but that's
it.

> Of course there's always the off-chance that you may run over a nail but
> the chances of that are the same chances that you take in everyday
> driving.

A street tire that is half worn out has a much better chance of running over
a nail and surviving then a brand new G-Force or Hoosier. The R tires will
pick them up easier and will puncture easier as well.

> Basically, forget about it and use the extra time that you would have
> spent changing tires each day to rest or walk the course again.

How I would love to, but my budget doesn't let me loaf. I just have to get
up earlier to get what I need done. Since tires are SO expensive (I won't be
buying G-Force again!) for us bottom feeding racers I'm real protective of
them....

Steve Hoult  '89 SC   ASP 9   Flat Duck Racing
Visit the MR2 SC Registry at www.mr2sc.com