Re: RCasual driving on R tires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RCasual driving on R tires
From: Kii Lockhorn <kiirenza@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:56:32 -0700

John Lieberman wrote:

> Plugs are "iffy," though I use them all the time on my slicks.
> They're a lot more difficult to use on steel-belted radials!  Internal
> patches, properly applied, are much more reliable.  I know lots of
> people who have had tires patched and then run them all the way down
> to the cord with no problems at all.

     I just had a nail puncture repaired on one of my Kumhos. It was done with
a "patch-plug" repair, which evidently is a combination internal patch plus a
plug. It's the first time I've had to get a competition tire repaired, and
I've only run it at the Harrisburg ProSolo so far, but it seems to be okay. I
wasn't even sure if a repair was "legal" for Solo II, but Rob Falkner
suggested I fix it, which made me quite happy -- I really didn't want to
replace a tire with two events on it (the puncture happened at the Petersburg
Pro).
     If I'm not mistaken, the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports has a
thing in their Tech Forum about this very question.

Karen Kraus
1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34)

--

"You never get away, you only get someplace else."
     -- Lovka's Dilemma

"No matter what they're telling you, they're not telling you the whole truth."

     -- Todd's Principle

"What people want to kill is not themselves, but the pain."
     -- Abrahms Spring

http://www.erols.com/kiirenza