Re: RCasual driving on R tires

To: Dale Botkin <dale@botkin.org>
Subject: Re: RCasual driving on R tires
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:21:32 -0500
The difference between plugs and patches, as I see it Dale, is a
matter of sealing the leak...not of the plug coming out.  Yes, a plug
will leave a lot of material inside the tire, but a patch will cover
much more internal surface area.  Plus, a properly applied patch is
much less likely to work loose and develop a leak than a properly
applied patch.  Add to that the fact that most of us who plug our
tires usually do so in a big hurry between runs, so we may not get the
plug seated properly.  I'm not saying that plugs don't work. As I
mentioned in a previous post, I use them all the time on my slicks.
I'm just saying that an internal patch is much more
reliable...especially for a large hole.  Besides, it's a lot easier to
stick a plug in a bias-ply slick than it is to poke one into a
steel-belted radial!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman