Re: RCasual driving on R tires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RCasual driving on R tires
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:30:21 EDT
>A street tire that is half worn out has a much better chance of running over
>a nail and surviving then a brand new G-Force or Hoosier. The R tires will
>pick them up easier and will puncture easier as well.
============================
<<This brings up a question that I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
<<How many folks have had the displeasure of getting a nail or some
<<similar object stuck in their race tires and had them patched/plugged?
<<Did you continue to race on them after they were repaired?  Why or why
<<not?

I got a nail in an early R! a few years back, Had it plug patched from the
inside and raced it until there was no tread left. Never had a problem, The
tire makers stress that the speed rating is lost after a patch, but they are
Z rated, and even a 30% loss is still far faster then any autocross course.

The guy at the tire place was sure confused why I wanted to patch a tire with
all the tread worn off, just replace it. Even after trying to explain he did
not understand it.But he still patched it, but with no guarantee.

>> Basically, forget about it and use the extra time that you would have
>> spent changing tires each day to rest or walk the course again.

>How I would love to, but my budget doesn't let me loaf. I just have to get
>up earlier to get what I need done. Since tires are SO expensive (I won't be
>buying G-Force again!) for us bottom feeding racers I'm real protective of
>them....
<<If it worries you that much then leave your car at the site and bum a
<<ride from someone else.  Honestly though, I think you're worrying a bit
<<too much.  I know plenty of folks who drive around on Saturday evenings
<<(during a two day event) with Toyos (me), Kumhos, BFGs (old & new), and
<<Hoosiers.

I have driven Hoosiers and Even my new G-Forces home from several events when
I was feeling lazy. The last even was a 55 mile drive hom on them, they don't
wear on the street. Actually I can't even get them warm, I have tried.

<