Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 20:20:58 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/99 6:52:47 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rnichol1@san.rr.com writes:

> I have no experience at *racing* (can I use that word?) a FWD car, though
>  I've driven 'em on the street for a long time.
>
>  But is it possible, since this is a new problem for you, that you're
>  applying more power in the corners than before, and the rear is just
>  breaking away?  In other words, what's known as "power oversteer".

In a FWD car there really isn't any such thing as power oversteer.  Putting
power down in a turn will tend to lighten up the front end and shift the
weight to the back.  This will cause the car to push under extreme steering
angles.

The original author did not mention when he was experiencing oversteer, was
it in a slalom? In the middle of a long sweeper?  Was he on the gas hard then
jump off the gas?  Was it under constant acceleration?  All of this will
factor into the reason a car is oversteering as well as the car setup.
(Forgive me if this was covered earlier, I missed a few posts on this thread.)

Paul Zahornasky