Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?

To: "Joshua Hadler" <jhadler@rmi.net>, <Cccya1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 16:47:02 -0700
Another area I haven't seen addressed explicitly in this thread, is
technique.

I have no experience at *racing* (can I use that word?) a FWD car, though
I've driven 'em on the street for a long time.

But is it possible, since this is a new problem for you, that you're
applying more power in the corners than before, and the rear is just
breaking away?  In other words, what's known as "power oversteer".

In my RWD car (a Mustang, known for understeering), when I did this I the
tail would break loose, and I'd even spin out from time to time.  Did the
*same* on my low-powered RWD car.

The cure:  blast to the end of the straight, slam on the brakes, get
rotated, slam on the power.  Very little steering input with the power on.
I had to "get professional help" on this one, to see what I had started
doing wrong.

Oversteer went away!  Hope that helps.

Richard Nichols
CP Mustang SVO