Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?

To: "Pete W. Kauffman" <pete@meisoft.com>
Subject: Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:45:14 -0700
"Pete W. Kauffman" wrote:

> How much?  I am running 44 and 40 on my Type R and get a lot of understeer.
> It is hard to get the back end to come around.

Someone else wrote......

> The easiest cure to reduce FWD oversteer, folks, is to reduce the
> differential in tire presures front to rear. In other words: Increase the
> rear pressure, or reduce the fronts. This works, and is a known trick to
> increase oversteer in FWD, run Front tire pressures way higher than normal
> for street. Worked on my CRX years ago, and made the car way too tail happy.

Another fairly easy way to reduce oversteer and promote the rear end being more
obedient is to adjust the rear toe if allowed by factory methods. Try zero rear
toe first (many factory settings have toe in on the back side), and *carefully*
enter the realm of toe out - a little goes a long way..... don't ask how I
know  :-).

Scott Meyers
Never could get that darn ACR quite right......