Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How do you reduce oversteer in a FWD car?
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:04:46 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/99 10:32:03 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rnichol1@san.rr.com writes:

> Bet I could get the rear tires to break loose -- oversteer -- in my FWD
>  Honda Accord, goin' through a corner.  :)

Sure, charge real hard into a corner and lift, you'll go around in a second.

>  We don't have to spin the rear tires to get the rear end to break loose.
>  I'm talking about going into the corner too fast, applying too much
throttle
>  during the steering input, and breaking the rear loose.

Unless you are running some really crazy rear toe out angles, I just don't
see it happening.  If you are go into a corner too fast AND try to accelerate
in a FWD car, you are asking the front tires to perform far beyond the limits
of the friction circle.  They will lose traction and you will get understeer.

This is basic car handling stuff, every high performance manual teaches it
(Starting with the copy of 'The Secrets Of Solo Racing' by Henry Watts that I
keep in my bookcase.  Perhaps you can site one that says otherwise?

rnichol1@san.rr.com wrote in his first post on the matter:

>  I have no experience at *racing* (can I use that word?) a FWD car, though
>  I've driven 'em on the street for a long time.

Driving on the street and autocrossing are two different worlds.  So is
driving FWD and RWD.  Perhaps you should autocross a FWD car before you start
giving out advice on the subject.

Paul Zahornasky
29 HS, 87 Integra (But I'll be in a RWD car at the NE Divs)