Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:16:06 -0500
Chrysler isn't doing anything they aren't fully entitled to do.
It's their money, after all.

Nobody is entitled to corporate sponsorship and/or contingency
money. If/when that happens and your hobby-related expenses are
defrayed as a result, count yourself VERY lucky. Just don't count
on your luck to hold forever.

Since when is there anything wrong with a manufacturer offering a
sport version of a mundane passenger car? Isn't that what we, as
alleged "enthusiasts," should want to encourage?

If DC is timing their move as a symbolic gesture against trunk
kits, more power to them. If you have to have manufacturer
support to keep a series viable, you should take that fact into
account when making decisions that could put that support in
jeopardy.

The sponsorship dollar game is a game that SCCA and a number of
competitors have chosen to play. It was their choice, and the
consequences aren't always guaranteed to be positive. That's
life.

I still think that Solo II realized a net gain from Chrysler's
involvement, even though I am not now nor would ever be a Neon
buyer.

Jay