Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>, Scott R Sawyer <reddog_es22@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???
From: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:38:40 -0700 (PDT)

> >I've read an awful lot of posts on this of late, and I think I fall
into
> >the school of thought that says the real problem goes back to
allowing
> >the ACR into SS racing.
> >Until the ACR, the cars that were raced in SS were the same model
that
> >was sold to the general public. The problem I have with the ACR is
that
> >it was built as a race package.
>
> I don't agree.  Maybe it needed to be re-classed, but the ACR was a
> legitimate factory-built standard model car.  It was widely
available at
> dealerships across the country.   It was not rare or expensive.
>
> I think all the manufacturers should have had the incentive to build
such
> cars, and make them available to the general public, just the way
the ACR
> was indeed available to the general public.  The "Trunk kit" was a
bad idea.
> Tell the makers to build better cars!
>
> I want to see more enthusiast-oriented cars.  And I don't mean
> limited-edition megabucks cars.
>
> Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
> Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
> LOON, TCVWC, MAC
> pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/

I completely agree...My question would be what if the original ACR had
been the Neon GTS, R/T, or GT?  I don't think those terms would have
inspired as much controversy as "American Club Racing".

===
Derek Engelhaupt
'97 White Mazda Miata
St. Paul, MN

What if there were no hypothetical situations?
-- Andrew Kohlsmith