Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chrysler Taking its toys and going home???
From: Derek Engelhaupt <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

> > Until the ACR, the cars that were raced in SS were the same model
that
> > was sold to the general public. The problem I have with the ACR is
that
> > it was built as a race package. No one really needs Koni's (an
> > AFTERMARKET component) on the street {but they are fun : ) }. For
those
> > of us in the Solo community, this isn't a big issue because we can
add
> > them, but when it comes to SS, it gave the Neon's levels of
> >

> >    Nor does anyone NEED A/C or NEED electronically adjustable
damping (see
> >    the Corvette) or NEED a 320 hp V8, Chrysler chose to fit a car
in a
> >    particular market. I would expect that the Neon ACR is just
about the
> >    only car that came from the factory with stiff enough damping
to match
> >    it's springs. NEED has nothing to do with it, it was a marketing
> >    decision to sell the car with certain tuning.
>
> If you go to a Chevy dealer you might find a Corvette with these
options on
> the lot (at some of them anyways).
> About two years ago, I went to several Dodge Dealers with my brother
looking
> for an ACR to test drive and they were no help.
> (my brother was looking for a sports car / sporty car for around $10k)
> The Dodge Dealers basically said we would have to buy the car to get
it on
> their lot.
> This, to me does not constitute a car that is available to the General
> Public.
> (sorry, you're not going to get me to buy a car if I can't drive it
first)
> My brother ended up buying a really nice '93 MR2
>
> unfortunately, I'm still trying to get him to a SoloII event...
>
> Eric M

Just because that dealer wouldn't do, doesn't mean another dealer
wouldn't.  Dealers usually won't order a car for a "possible" sale.
Find a dealer that has one in stock.  There were quite a few Dodge
dealers out East that had them in stock when I was looking for a Neon.
 I ended up with a Sport package instead in '95 since I didn't have an
SCCA licence.  At that time the ACR wasn't readily available to the
public.  To make a long story short, I have a Miata now and won't ever
buy another Chrysler product.  That's just how great Chrysler treated
me.  Glad to hear your brother ended up not buying a Neon.  That's
JMHO, though.  My comments aren't meant to piss off the Neon community
on this list, just to relay my bad experience with MY Neon.  I'm not
going to go into the details here, but if anyone is interested in them
- take it private.

===
Derek Engelhaupt
'97 White Mazda Miata
St. Paul, MN

What if there were no hypothetical situations?
-- Andrew Kohlsmith