Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Petition to amend SCCA bylaws
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:41:17 -0500

> If Pro Racing loses $550K a year that means that you dues must be $10
> higher to cover the loss. Or it means that Denver needs to get $5 an
> entry more from the autocrossers. The money needs to come from
> somewhere. The funny thing is that Pro Racing is supposed to GENERATE
> money and make amateur racing cheaper. Unfortunately, this hasn't been
> the case for quite a while...
>
> Paul Foster

Guess I shouldn't just come out and name the organization, but before I
became involved with the SCCA I was involved in a different competitive
grass-roots type of organization similar to the SCCA (not auto racing).
This organization has also funded a  Pro racing organization at a HUGE loss
for several years.  At this time, SCCA entry fees seem to average about
$10-$15 cheaper than the other organization.

To make a long story short, the orginization I was formerly involved in is
hurting, BAD.  They've driven up entry fees and made events next to
impossible for local promoters to put on.  This organization enjoyed a short
"hey day" about 10 years ago  during which time entry fees were less than
$20, and events were much cheaper to put on.  Along came the pro racing, and
local stuff suffered to the point where it's almost a joke today.  I don't
think their downfall is completely a result of this pro organization, BUT I
do think it is a result of the political climate which allowed such a
situation to occur.

This may not be the situation with the SCCA at all, but as one who has been
burned before, it makes me cautious.  BTW, we need to do EVERYTHING we can
to keep the power in the hands of each and every member.  Not some board.
In my former organization, you actually have to PAY to vote.  The process is
a joke, and members have NO power.  Nearly all petitions started by members
are shot down before they make it to the table for lack of numbers.  DON'T
LET THIS HAPPEN.

rant mode off.

-brad
new (and happy) member of the SCCA