Re: Kudos to NAP and Mark Sipe

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, <TeamZ3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Kudos to NAP and Mark Sipe
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:13:51 -0500
Paul wrote:

>We do indeed
>need safety nazis to keep this sport safe.

Yep. I'm  with you all the way on this one.

>And as far as Howard Duncan is concerned, I was not attempting
>ridicule or belittle him. His letter to the editor speaks for
itself.

For the same reasons that political activity is not allowed in
the workplace for civil service employees, I feel strongly that
it is inappropriate for a full time SCCA employee to become
involved in anything that resembles a political dispute.
Policy/strategy decisions SHOULD be made by our elected
representatives and then implemented by the club's paid
employees. Taking an advocacy position for/against any major
changes in club policies creates a potentially strong
conflict-of-interest situation for an employee. I realize that
there are precedents in SCCA that run counter to this principle,
but I submit that they are extremely bad precedents and should be
reversed.

>An open exchange
>of opinions and ideas is what is key.

I've never seen/heard/read Howard say anything positive about any
public forum over which he couldn't exercise some degree of
control. My impression may well be mistaken, but every time I see
something from Howard in print, I get the feeling he wishes that
team.net and NAP would just go away.

Jay