Re: Kudos to NAP and Mark Sipe

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Kudos to NAP and Mark Sipe
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:35:40 -0400
TeamZ3@aol.com wrote:

> Kudo's are neither wanted or appreciated on this subject.  For the record, I
> was too quick on the draw with my Bic cannon when I fired off my response.  I
> attempted to withdraw my comments from publication in NAP, but was too late;
> they were already in print.  I don't particularly find fault in my comments,
> but in typical MAS fashion I chose the wrong format in expressing them.
>
> In particular, for my comments to now be used by someone like P. Foster in an
> attempt to ridicule or belittle Howard Duncan is a complete embarrassment not
> only to myself, but also disgraces the sport I love the most.  While I may
> not necessarily share the same opinion as Mr. Duncan on certain Solo2 issues,
> in no way should any disagreement between us be interpreted as a lack of
> respect for a man whom I hold high esteem.  I can think of nobody else in the
> sport of autocross who has been more selflessly dedicated and devoted than
> Howard Duncan.
>
> I suppose it's fitting that Mr. Foster should be the one to rub the salt in
> my wound, as he was the one who negatively used the term Safety Nazi on
> Team.net, which served as the basis for my column on the subject.  Sadly,
> what's done is done.  Just like all the other stupid mistakes in my life, I
> deserve what ever fate may come as a result of my own actions.
>
> Mark Sipe
> - the risk of action, the fate of choice.

Woohoo! A touch!

I wondered if my usage of the term "Safety Nazi" was what you were
alluding to! Thanks for the compliment because I do not feel it is
denegrating in the least, as you apparently did in your column and
followup. Why? Because I actually agree with you for once. We do indeed
need safety nazis to keep this sport safe. It is the reason I trust the
SCCA far above most other organizations to put on a safe event where I
can bring my car home in one piece and with the knowledge that we are
being looked over by a swell bunch of safety nazis. Power to the safety
stewards and their minions in whatever moniker you choose. It is a
powerful name and it speaks volumes. Death to all PC! ;-)

And as far as Howard Duncan is concerned, I was not attempting to
ridicule or belittle him. His letter to the editor speaks for itself. I
believe my comments are deserved as I believe yours were.

Sadly, I do believe you are missing the entire point. An open exchange
of opinions and ideas is what is key. An attempt by a paid official of
our CLUB to stifle this freedom is the germane issue.

Paul Foster

BTW, I did not coin the term Safety Nazi. It came from my SFR
autocrossing days back in the late 80s. I want to say I heard it first
from Peter Grey but it may have been another DS Civic SI driver, such as
Chuck Hanson or Charlie Davis.