Re: Car numbers at Nationals

To: David Hawkins <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Subject: Re: Car numbers at Nationals
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:12:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, David Hawkins wrote:
> >Yep - BTDT.  Tellyawat David, you go ahead and hide your numbers with silly
> >color combinations, and the folks in timing won't count your runs.  Seems
> >fair to me...
>

> Tellyawat Andy....why don't you see my car before you go telling me I'm
> trying
> to hide my numbers?
>
> I'm not trying to say that I feel that numbers should be something we can
> make whatever expression we want with (there was a car at the last
> Divisional that looked like some kind of modern art number combo...no one
> could tell what it was supposed to be).  I was only trying to say that
> blanket
> statements like 'silver and white don't go together' should be avoided.  My
> silver car is dingy enough that white numbers show up just fine.

In _general_, just about any other color contrasts better with silver (or
gray) than white.  Black works particularly well if you're determined to
avoid color.  :-)

You knew what Mark's point was (puh-leez choose contrasting colors, pretty
please, with ice cream and suger on top... we're beggin' here), but chose to
be picayune about your particular chosen color combo.  I dunno if your
particular numbers are visible or not - I just know that alot of folks out
there _need_ to get Mark's message.

The bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is if you wanna be scored you make
darn certain your numbers are readable.  If you're certain yours are, then
keep 'em.  Or if you're uncertain, ask the folks in timing at your local
events if they can read your numbers from a distance.  If they say "What
numbers?", then take the hint... :-)

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting