Re: Car numbers at Nationals

To: otgrouch@twosrus.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car numbers at Nationals
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:19:07 EDT
otgrouch@twosrus.com writes:

<< As someone who runs a silver car with white numbers, I'd have to
 question this post.  Is the intent to really have numbers that can be
 seen on the other side of the course?  >>

Unquestionably, YES!  The rules also state that the numbers should contrast
the car color.  There was a very good writeup on this in Sportscar about a
year ago.  There is a lot happening at the corner stations.  It is not
unusual to try and identify the car that went off course or hit a cone until
after it has passed by.  I've worked all those same worker positions you
mentioned, for the same cars Mark mentioned and others, and it is a major
inconvenience and source of confusion not to be able to make out vehicle
numbers.

It never fails to amaze me how many people match up colors incorrectly; like
white on silver, or dark red on black.  What we really need to do is to start
documenting what color combinations don't work and ban them in the supp's,
updating as necessary.  This will eliminate the majority of the problem
before it occurs.

If you really want to make your car look different than most of the other
participants, then I suggest putting it in the Winner's Circle.

Mark Sipe