RE: Look but don't touch (was Wendover Site Info?)

To: "Stephen Bernard" <solo-2@juno.com>, <witt@mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: Look but don't touch (was Wendover Site Info?)
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:35:30 -0500
Steve,

I'd hope that my fellow autocrossers don't do anything to get the local
authorities too excited (wink wink)...  and if you'd been pulled over on the
evening (Saturday) during the event I'd hope the local mounties would show
some sympathy.  I get waves from the back country police when I'm in my Mini
Cooper, even when I'm doing something stupid.

If someone leaves the sticker on the car after the event is over and it's
illegal in that state (such as NJ, home of the automotive gestapo... been
there done that) then they've no one to blame than themselves. If you're in
transit from the event (with out of state plates...) then yeah, you're fair
game for the money hunters.

For the record, the instructions from Tire Rack include tips on how to
safely remove/store the sticker for another day.  Maybe a wise idea if
you're not sure of the local laws.

I did kinda like the look of the sticker after I got over the shock of
having to put it on the car (the plank of wood helps change your
disposition), but I did pull it as soon as I got home, don't need to pull
any more paint off the car.  My DM Spitfire.

Yeah, no windshield.  And dispite the talk of my having a swelled head...
still not enough room on the helmet face shield.  :-)

Cheers,

Jim
76 DM Spitfire  DFW National Tour entrant.