Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses

Subject: Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses
From: Tom Maycock <tmaycock@interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:03:17 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Engstrom wrote:
> based on sound rational responses and conclusions.  In order to alleviate the
> problem with course maps I propose a new system of course design where not
> even the course designers know what the course will look like.

I think John's on to something here, but I have an improvement to suggest:

1) Set up start cones and finish cones and associated timing lights.

2) That's it, you're done. Every driver gets to choose their own route
from start to finish.

Think about it, this solves three problems:

1) course map secrecy: There's no course, so every course is the same.
Nothing to know, nothing to not know. Or not not know. You know?

2) Big events taking too long and the whole issue of novices getting in
while experienced drivers are shut out:

a) Those of us just out to have fun could go out and doodle around for a
while on a course of our own invention, running phantom slaloms, drifting
through non-existent sweepers, and head for the finish when we're damn
good and ready.

b) The competitive guys, meanwhile, would want to get from S to F in the
shortest possible time. That could be as little as 5 or 6 seconds (4 in an
AM car). That should be enough to keep the average run time short enough.
Let in 500 people, still be done by 3pm.

3) Lack of skilled corner workers: Who needs corner workers???

Just an idea.

Tom