Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Maps of the Peru National Tour Courses
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, William Loring wrote:
> Ten years ago, how many of us ever seriously considered the issue of who
> did/did not see course maps before an event, let alone argue it with your
> friends? Not me, that's for sure. I showed up at the event, they gave me a
> map. Or not. Sometimes they just said "the course is over there. Tomorrow's
> will be different."

150 years ago cars didn't even exist.  Think how much simpler autox was
then!

> Anyway, I'm with Denver on this one. Keep the maps put away, and only
> distribute them on a "need to know" basis, unless you can guarantee that you
> can get them to ALL competitors. (last I heard, the US Post Office could
> still do this) While it is certainly arguable whether looking at a map
> beforehand will help you in any way, I'd rather avoid the "perception of
> impropriety."

Last I checked, USPS wanted money to send mail to everyone.  One of the
super coolio things about the web is that its "free" to distribute
information.  How long do we need to not take advantage of that to help a
(shrinking) bunch of technological illiterates?  I know _I_ wonder how
much of my dues are being spent to send me results that I've already
pulled off the web...

Mark

(while we're saving the poor and destitute, don't forget free cars
available for all those who would like to compete buy don't have a car...)