RE: SM2 at Topeka

Subject: RE: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:50:15 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jeff Winchell wrote:
> Then you're legal.  15% weight penalty from 2700 + 50 lbs == 3155.
>
> 3155 minimum weight vs 2700 lb cars. How absurd. And yet another fine
> example of the CP anti-technology mentality. Better penalize those ESP
> cars with weight lest they beat up on more CP cars.

I'm confused.  First you're whining that you're not legal in CP with your
ESP car.  Now you're whining that you _are_ legal, but not competitive...

In your under-prepared car.

Do I have that right?

> The competitor thinks 1" wider DOT tires will be faster than slicks?
> Plus he'd have to undo every non-SP legal thing to do that. Speaking
> of idiotic...

You're ranting.  What does "he'd have to undo every non-SP legal thing"
mean?  Are you saying that you're cheating now?  :-)

> Well, when the ESP legal car pummels a bunch of CP cars, that would
> benefit the CP drivers in learning they need to step it up.

You're already legal.  Bring it on.  Show us all how awesome you and your
"new technology" are.

> The CP drivers might also actually pay attention to all that
> new-fangled technology and learn something. Maybe even consider not
> penalizing people for having the audacity to drive a car built in the
> last 10 years.

I'm building my car as we speak.  I don't feel penalized.

Jeff, there are plenty of places for you to play.  All those places have
rules.  Pick the place according to what you want to do, but don't deride
others for choosing something different.  After all, I don't make fun of
you for driving competing in a car that has an interior and street legal
equipment that cost _nothing_ to remove and yet don't help make the car
faster.

> The CP class might be large enough to have some competition rather
> than the usual 0-2 CP entrants that show up to non-midwestern
> autocross events.

You could run CP.  Then there'd be 1-3.  Heck, it'd even benefit you,
given that CP is so easy to do well in.

> The CP class might get some interest from drivers who would otherwise
> move to SM which is where the vast majority of potential CP drivers
> wind up.

The CP class seems to be doing fine at the moment.  Better than every
other class at nationals.  Why don't we wait until there's a problem
before we fix it?

> Nahhh... bad ideas.

Out of the mouths of babes...

> Best to let the dinosaurs die. More oil for the rest of us.

Like I say.  Bring it on.  Show us all how weak the class is with actions
and not a bunch of twisted up numbers.  Put your throttle foot where
your overly large mouth is.

Mark