RE: SM2 at Topeka

To: marka@telerama.com
Subject: RE: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@winchell.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
> 32V aluminum DOHC Cobra motor with aftermarket fuel injection (all
the things that CP
> hates<s>).

Then you're legal.  15% weight penalty from 2700 + 50 lbs == 3155.

3155 minimum weight vs 2700 lb cars. How absurd. And yet another fine example
of the CP
anti-technology mentality. Better penalize those ESP cars with weight lest they
beat up on
more CP cars.

> The rule proposal said SP cars running on ***DOT*** tires could run
> wider than P legal wheel widths. I also said DOT tires countless times in
>messages on
> the CP thread back then as well on this list. Not that anyone listens.

>No, we listen fine.  That idea is idiotic.  How does it benefit the
>competitor to have to test DOT vs. Slicks?

The competitor thinks 1" wider DOT tires will be faster than slicks? Plus he'd
have to
undo every non-SP legal thing to do that. Speaking of idiotic...

>So that you can run your totally ESP legal car in CP?  Why is that a benefit?

Well, when the ESP legal car pummels a bunch of CP cars, that would benefit the
CP drivers
in learning they need to step it up.

The CP drivers might also actually pay attention to all that new-fangled
technology and
learn something. Maybe even consider not penalizing people for having the
audacity to
drive a car built in the last 10 years.

The CP class might be large enough to have some competition rather than the
usual 0-2 CP
entrants that show up to non-midwestern autocross events.

The CP class might get some interest from drivers who would otherwise move to
SM which is
where the vast majority of potential CP drivers wind up.

Nahhh... bad ideas.

Best to let the dinosaurs die. More oil for the rest of us.