RE: SM2 at Topeka

To: marka@telerama.com
Subject: RE: SM2 at Topeka
From: "Jeff Winchell" <Jeff@winchell.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:05:04 -0700 (PDT)
"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Jeff Winchell wrote:
> &gt; Despite CP's softness, no one expects even the best ESP car and driver
> &gt; to WIN CP. Place very highly, absolutely... though then they'd find
> &gt; out how friendly CP is when they were protested for running tires 1&quot;
> &gt; wider than CP legal even though the tires were DOT tires not slicks,
> &gt; and the car weighed 700 lbs more than the CP cars they beat.
>
> When's the last time someone in CP protested somebody?

I don't know. Maybe I'll test that theory by running my ESP car with 17x11
wheels running
DOT tires in CP. I'm not that great a driver but if I pick it up a 1/2 second,
I could
wind up trophying in CP... never mind the 4 co-drivers I've had this year who
would all
easily trophy in CP in my ESP car.

> Not to mention that in the situation you describe the car would be legal.

Nope. Not with 17" rims... which slow the car down by raising the center of
gravity.

> And also not to mention that the rules exist and are to be adhered to,
> even if they don't make sense.  As numerous people have vehemently said
> over the years.

The problem isn't that the rule that makes no sense is followed, it's that CP
people
ACTIVELY campaigned to keep this rule that makes no sense as well as the many
other
anti-technology rules that CP embraces. No wonder Fordahl's car pummelled
Janish's in '99.