Re: [evolution-disc.] SS getting DSQ'ed /video tapes allowed as

To: "Hank Wallace" <hwallace@ebimmer.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] SS getting DSQ'ed /video tapes allowed as
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:22:36 -0500
I was involved in this occurance also, since I was the one with the video
camera.  (I was a busy boy this weekend!)

Steve Wynveen and Jason Siani received calls on their last runs on Saturday,
which were in consecutive order with Jason finishing immediately behind
Steve.  Steve was DNF'd plus got a cone call, while Jason was only called
for hitting a cone.  Cone #408 was listed as teh offending cone for both
drivers.

I happened to be taping Steve's run as a favor from the timing truck area.
Once he finished, I panned over and caught the rest of Jason's run.  Since I
was working impound on that heat, I heard the questions being raised after
results were posted.  Since I knew I had it on tape, I offered it to the
event officials.  We looked at it, did it frame by frame, and concluded that
none of the three calls were correct.  The tape was clear enough that the
evidence was absolutely conclusive...no question whatsoever.  It was proven
that the tape was of the runs questioned as well.

I don't know myself about the legality of all this.  I do know that the
calls were wrong, and these guys would have suffered for it.  (Finishing
order was definately afffected.)  I spoke to a corner worker later who was
there, and I think it was simple communication confusion at the corner that
caused it.  After thinking about this, I think that the proper thing to do
would be:
Show the tape to the Corner Captain that made the call.  The Corner Captain
is responsible for all calls made from the corner IMO.  Let them see it and
offer him/her an opportunity to change their call.  If it is truly
conclusive, the call will be reversed.  In car shots would be almost useless
IMO.  If there is not other proof, than I guess it's in the hands of the AX
gods.

Since no one mentioned it yet, I will say that the event (CenDiv Divisional
Championship)  was exceptionally well run, and was just plain great in every
way.  Thanks to all those who pulled it off with suprising efficiency.

> Jkinser77@aol.com wrote:
>

> > I also heard at this event, that an actual video tape was allowed to be used
>
> > as evidence that there were no cones on someone's run, and THAT has never
> > been allowed that I know of in all my 14 years.&nbsp; I have had plenty of
> > friends, an ex husband, instructors who all had cones down on their runs,
> but
> > knew they didn't have any, and offered vedeo tapes of the run as evidence
> but
> > was told tapes are not admisable.&nbsp; Just curious why this case was
> treated
> > in
> > this manner.

Patrick Washburn