Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: "Charlie Davis" <gt40d@yahoo.com>, "Mike King"
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:28:55 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Davis" <gt40d@yahoo.com>
To: "Mike King" <mapcomaps@bellsouth.net>; <autox@autox.team.net>;
<evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>;
<buccaneerautocross@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 6:30 PM

> --- Mike King wrote:
>

> > Btw, am I the only one sitting back this year and
> > realizing someone in the
> > National office needs a swift kick in the back side?
> > And I'm not referring
> > to anyone in the Solo office necessarily...
>
> I think Steve has a few bugs to work out.  For
> instance, a full-on STS car runs in a class with 550
> points max, but can end up competitive in STS at
> around 400-420 points.  So, you can remove the cat and
> run a lightened flywheel and stay in the same class.
> How many STS drivers want to get beat up bu an STS+
> car?  I'm guessing there are other holes in the system
> where competitive SCCA cars don't have a chance
> against some "points special."
>
> And as far as I know, the lot at Alameda Point isn't
> all that large and has restrictions on the number of
> cars that can enter, top speeds lower than Solo 2
> speeds, etc...
>
> Charlie

Am I the only one that looks at it from the other side? How DARE the SCCA
make rules that keep a competitive PRO/car from being competitive in
National Tours? Why shouldn't SCCA change their rules so I can run my
competitive PRO car with cat removed and lightenened flywheel in SCCA STS?
(roll eyes)

Steve has his own series with his own rules (couldn't be because SCCA
threatenened to sue if he used a close copy of their rule book now could
it???) and as in any form of racing if you want to win you build a car to
the maximum the rules allow, period end of story! Steve has no obligation to
make sure every competitive SCCA class car has a class in his series where
it can be top dog as well. As far as I can see Steve is offering up enough
events in a season where one could decide to run only his series and the
he|| with SCCA and their staff's high and mighty take it or leave it
attitude towards their events and competitors.

In addition, if anyone reads the entire PRO/Car info it says that their
events will consist of THREE different driving challenges (unfortunately it
doesn't spell out what those challenges will be) so there is a good chance a
competitive car in his series will be entirely different from an AX only
car. A preped honda civic may rule on an AX course, but wouldn't stand a
chance against a totally stock Camaro in a drag race type challenge for
example.

The thing that concerns me after PRO's last fizzle is that they once again
don't seem to be on top of the details  this close to their inaugural event.
They have venues, rules, and entry fees, but no definition of what their
event is going to consist of or what the rewards/prizes will be. That seems
to me to be backwards and deadly, have they not yet finalized what you will
be competing for and how, yet they are sure that you're going to want to
spend 99.00 to do it? As much as I wanted to see PRO be sucessful last time
and again here this reeks of another last minute thrown together in a rush
series where the details will be worked out at the events. That may work for
a 20.00 local event but not for a sucessful national series. YMMV