Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing available now...
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:14:11 -0600
> knuckledragger@kcweb.net writes:
> But Charlie, what about the "Street" in "Street Prepared"?  Isn't SP
> supposed to be a "street legal" category?  What about "Street Modified"?
At
> what point do we change the definition of the word street?  And why?
> I don't agree with the terms "Street" Prepared and "Street" Modified.
> Neither are truly streetable.  SP stands for "Strangely Prepared" in my
book.  It's
> just another Prepared category in my book.  I see a lot of new members in
the
> ST classes because the rules fit the cars that enthusiasts have and the
way
> they modify them.  SP has ended up just another category for existing
members to
> go to.

How soon history is lost.

George Santayana wote: "those who cannot remember the past are comdemned to
repeat it".

Street Prepared started out _exactly_ the way STS did.  A class intended to
capture the enthisast of the day that had fun cars with popular
modifications.   That "street" is used in the class's name does not specify
that the car be "streetable" as that is a subjective term.  In Street
Prepared, the cars must retain their road going equipment (lights, wipers,
interiors, DOT tires, etc...) thus they are inherently "street cars" as
opposed to "racing cars" from the prepared and modified catagories. STS will
follow the same path as SP as it matures and the car will become less and
less 'streetable' as a result.

>   Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself, but there's a lot of gray
> hair on the SP grid, just as there is on the Prepared and Mod grids.

I don't have any gray hair, but when SP was new we were all young, just as
you find STS today.  I started in SP back in '83 when it was a new catagory.
However, you will find as wide a range of ages on the SP grid as you do in
Stock.   However, there is a cost factor too.  You are not as likely to find
a well prepared SP car driven by a 19 year old college student with a part
time job.  He simply doesn't have the time/money necessary.   But that same
guy is likely to own a Honda Civic with lowering springs and a cold air
intake.  If he could afford more, he would have it.  So he ends up in STS.
But that 's not the only story because we have seen a range of entrants in
STS, including a few with 'gray hair', but I didn't call them that. ;-)

Charlie Davis wrote:

>But I see ST as a growing category because the rules make sense.  And I
think
>Steve should set his points levels for the GT classes so existing ST cars
are
>competitive.

I think Steve (PRO) will find this 'points system' of classification to be
extremely difficult to manage, regulate and even more difficult to enforce.

Note:  This is not an official position of the SEB

Steve Hoelscher
#84 ESP