Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, <Smokerbros@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:27:38 -0700
> > Claiming is ugly and hard to make work.  Even if you re-valve an allowed
> > shock, I doubt you'd be at $1500/corner on a Stock Miata (the price I've
been
> > told Penskes cost)
>
> Claiming, despite what you've read here.  Is neither ugly nor hard to make
> work.  In deference to the street driving nature of many competitors
> vehicles, make the rule that you must supply $xxx (maybe $2k?) and
> working replacement struts/shocks to claim another competitor's (in the
> same class) struts/shocks.
>
> Claiming is the _only_ effective way I've ever seen people keep costs down
> on components that are otherwise open to modification.  Even then you get
> people that just eat the cost if they get claimed.
>
> The only real issue with claiming is that there's a good chance that
> deeper pocket folks will be willing to risk throwing away $8k or whatever
> to get that nationals win.  A series championship doesn't have these
> problems, of course, but I dunno if a claiming rule at Divisionals and
> higher would work similarly.

What stops me from claiming the shocks back from the guy who got them from me
last week?  Or do I just keep providing new shocks at OEM cost to everyone in
my region until we all have them?  Or does he just keep them in his closet and
trot them out at Nationals?  What if everyone does that - then I claim his
$1500 shocks and he claims mine?

I don't see how all this machination achieves its goal; it just seems like a
communist way (from each according to his means...) way of everyone getting
good shocks, rather than paying for their own.

KeS