RE: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: "'John J. Stimson-III '" <john@idsfa.net>,
Subject: RE: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: "Allendorfer, Peter" <Peter@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:21:34 -0700
 Got a quick question.  Have you ever changed the shocks on the front of a
street miata?  In a parking lot?  With Dwindling light?  And, what is the
MR2 owner that now has them supposed to do with them?  Suspend his coffee
table with 'em?

Claiming only works when its in a class of all the same cars.  The Before
mentioned oval car classes, i.e. Grand-ams and DIRT cars all have the same
engines.  The engine is the only claimable part of the car.  $800 for an
engine.  That's not too bad for a Chevy Small block.  These are dedicated
race cars, and the swap takes an hour or so (I assisted with a couple.  I
like to hang out in the pits at the Antioch 1/4 mile)  Funny thing is, next
week, the person that claimed a motor usually blows it up, or goes much
slower because he's got the wrong gearing, or is just not as good as the
other guy.

The moral of the story, You will not get a claimer class off the ground
unless you have a spec class and only allow one part of the car to be
claimed.  And if you go that far, you might as well have a black-box class.
(Can anybody say Spec Racer Ford????)  Everything is sealed, you must buy
from approved vendors.

Have fun making this work in auto-x, I won't be competing in it.

-Peter Allendorfer