Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> > Its not an ideal world though, and front swaybars are relatively
> > inexpensive.
>
> Escept that some people have 3-4 bars @ a couple hundred dollars each.  One
> desirable F-body bar is $440.00

I spend more than that to attend one (_1_) event.  That's not a lot of
money.

> I disagree, the lighter wheels almost always cost substantially more.
> Besides, if there is no real advantage (weight), there is no incentive to
> spend the big bucks.

How many OE wheels have you priced?  You can nearly always get a wheel a
little lighter than OE for substantially less than OE (with the exception
of some of the support deals).  Even the Circle Racing wheels that the MR2
guys are now using that weigh around 1 lb. are in the $250 range.

Again, this isn't a lot of money for something that can be used for
multiple years.

> > one of these are workable except maybe A), and that has the same problems
> > as C). Limit the adjustments and now you've gotta spend more on re-valving
> > / having alternate shocks.  The only way you're gonna fix this is to have
> > a claiming rule at divisionals and above, but without a series points
> > championship it wouldn't work all that well IMHO.
>
> Claiming is ugly and hard to make work.  Even if you re-valve an allowed
> shock, I doubt you'd be at $1500/corner on a Stock Miata (the price I've been
> told Penskes cost)

Claiming, despite what you've read here.  Is neither ugly nor hard to make
work.  In deference to the street driving nature of many competitors
vehicles, make the rule that you must supply $xxx (maybe $2k?) and
working replacement struts/shocks to claim another competitor's (in the
same class) struts/shocks.

Claiming is the _only_ effective way I've ever seen people keep costs down
on components that are otherwise open to modification.  Even then you get
people that just eat the cost if they get claimed.

The only real issue with claiming is that there's a good chance that
deeper pocket folks will be willing to risk throwing away $8k or whatever
to get that nationals win.  A series championship doesn't have these
problems, of course, but I dunno if a claiming rule at Divisionals and
higher would work similarly.

> If you have a car with no rubber brake hoses available, I'm guessing you need
> to buy another car.

Like I said, I dunno, particularly if you require OE lines.

Mark