Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: "Badertscher, Andy" <AndyB@regionofdoom.com>,
Subject: Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:14:42 -0700
"Badertscher, Andy" writes:

> Please tell me no SFR F-body owners actually bought a $440 front sway bar
>for autocrossing. I currently have 3 sway bars for my F-body: The OEM POS
>front bar(30mm I think),the 32mm 1le bar, and the huge and heavy 35mm Addoco
>bar (Some of you saw me carrying it around at Divisionals. read=HEAVY).
>Total investment in sway bars= $130. ($80 for the 32mm 1le bar and $50 for
>the 35mm bar). So for me, the cost of having multiple bars is not an issue.
>For my car thou a front sway bar change was neccesary in order to keep up
>with the faster 1le car, without it I  would be constantly struggling just
>to keep up with my other compeitors.

I don't know about real costs for F-body bars but, wouldn't be surprised to
have to pay $440 for a "trick" ADJUSTABLE front, or for that matter, an
adjustable rear bar. Remember, Charlie's into the big-buck prepared class
these days.

I've run "home-made" (thanks, Dave Morin) adjustable front bars on my two SS
Corvettes since '91. Once I learned how to really use it (at first, make big
changes to learn the effect of a change) it's come to be very useful. With
only a bar adjustment, one can "tune" a well set-up car to work on grippy or
slippery surfaces in minutes, between runs. Now throw in between-run changes
to shock settings, tire pressures and front/rear toe adjustments and you can
really make big mistakes, er, I mean, go faster.

        Don