Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:50:29 -0700
> How many OE wheels have you priced?  You can nearly always get a wheel a
> little lighter than OE for substantially less than OE (with the exception
> of some of the support deals).  Even the Circle Racing wheels that the MR2
> guys are now using that weigh around 1 lb. are in the $250 range.

Even $250 is not chump change, and I think many people will disagree
with your assertion that $400/wheel is not a lot of money.  I would
already have a set of Litespeed racing wheels for my Miata if I
believed that.

Keep in mind that steel wheels are about $35 each, and reasonably
lightweight wheels are in the $100-150 range.

Wheels are actually not an "consumable" item.  When you buy a set for
autocrossing, you don't throw the old ones out.  You end up with two
sets of wheels: one for the street and one for Solo2.  So why not
require the stock wheels for Solo2 (since they come with the car for
free) and let the owner run whatever he or she wants to on the street,
where there are fewer rules about size/specs?

Remember, there is Street Prepared for those who want to dink with
wheels and springs and swaybars.  If you want to allow "cheap
performance items" in stock class, wheels are not it.  The benefit/price of
wheels is way down there compared to other modifications.

> Again, this isn't a lot of money for something that can be used for
> multiple years.

This argument works even better for a rear swaybar, a set of lowering
springs, or an exhaust header.  None of which are legal in stock class.

> Claiming, despite what you've read here.  Is neither ugly nor hard to make
> work.  In deference to the street driving nature of many competitors
> vehicles, make the rule that you must supply $xxx (maybe $2k?) and
> working replacement struts/shocks to claim another competitor's (in the
> same class) struts/shocks.

$2K?  A full set of the OE Bilsteins or a full set of Koni Sports for
the Miata cost around $600.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94