Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: "Chris Warner" <jabrwoky@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 08:47:40 -0800
Chris,

Right, this is pretty similar to the system Josh and
the team considered.

The question I would have is

What would be gained by this new system?

- Currently our results are produced, fully cross-linked
  on the web within two days, often within one day of the
  event.

- With time posting, competitors can see what
  everybody has done on their last run, and set themselves
  up for the next run, as well as know their results on site
  in real time.

- The results process produces a
  complete database of all our competitors (currently over
  3,000 entries according to Pat), and provides machine
  readable data for analysis of run group size, attendance,
  retention of competitors, novice participation, and whatever
  else we want.

- In addition, if anything goes wrong, anybody
  present can fix the system without any technical knowledge
  (except for our electronic equipment, like displays and timer lights).
  There is no way a system failure can stop or ruin an event.

- There does not really
  have to be an expert on the system on site, since it's a dumb
  paper based system.  There is not really a need for any specialized
  expertise to speak of during the whole process.

- Works pretty well on rainy days or sunny,
  can be dropped without any significant impact to the process
  or our bank account.  The grit of windy sites like Marina or
  3COM don't foul up the cards, either.

- Drivers or workers who are careles,
  distracted, clueless, or technically challenged can operate in this
  system without causing major damage to the event itself,
  though sometimes a careless scorer can screw up some people's
  times.

- The equipment required to make it work is purchased so
  cheaply that occasionally some of us provide it out of pocket, and
  don't even bother to ask for reimbursement.

- And, there's absolutely no risk that
  anybody is going to steal what we need to run the current system.
  OK, a pen could be stolen, but the system goes right on.

Given all that, how will your proposed system retain all these
characteristics, and make some important improvements that we are
all chafing over with the current system?

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!