RE: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: Chris Warner <jabrwoky@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:51:47 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Chris Warner wrote:

> The only challenge that prevents us geeks from implementing an automated
> system is not technical, but political.  Building the infrastructure, coding
> the software, and deploying the system live.  It's so technically easy it's
> almost trivial.  The hard part is getting people to accept it and use it.  I
> am a programmer, not a politician.  That's why us geeks have failed so far.
> We don't do politics.
>
> I bet 20 years ago people were saying it would be impossible to report the
> results in 2 days electronically.
>
> Chris

I disagree.  The challenges that prevent "we geeks" from implementing
such a system are the usual ones:  integration, training, error-checking,
and disaster recovery.  Tech has a miserable record for addressing these
issues, and I'm personally not comfortable with implementation by people
who regard them as either trivial or "political".

KeS