Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:35:11 -0800
Chris,

Well, go to it!  If a team of people can demonstrate
a working, easy to use, fail-resistant system that
has significant improvements over the current system,
or even one with no immediate downside and some
visible future gain, we'd jump on it.

I'd be amazed, since I have implemented two such systems --
one for AYSO soccer, one for Little League.  We
didn't find it to be trivial, and significant investment
in equipment and personal time was required.  These
systems were successful, and were used for at least the
several years that I was in charge of that area.

Take over, go forward.   Set up a group who already have
laptops, make a plan, develop the system.  I'd even contribute
all my perl scripts for results.  I would even help if a real
project were under development, with appreciable advantages.
Should be minimal up front costs for a barcode reader, just
to demonstrate operational characteristics.  Heck, I'd contribute
the barcode reader to a serious group with a feasible plan.

Give us progress reports.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!